Thursday, March 20, 2008

In Kansas City




Here we are in Kansas City. I'm sitting in my apartment, sitting on the only piece of furniture that we currently own besides the bed. One folding chair. At least it has a slim piece of padding. I am typing on an upside down cardboard box. The monitor is set upon a tupperware container. Unfortunatly all of our media is crammed into one corner because this house was built a thousand years ago and has a very limited supply of outlets and only one cable outlet. The telephone also has to be in this very corner. The sun is hot down here let me tell you. It is a balmy 19 degrees Celcius outside right now. I walked outside without a jacket - just a t-shirt. I have all the windows open letting the fresh heavenly breeze flow into this desolate apartment that looks incredibly cheery from all the sunshine. I have to close the blinds otherwise it gets way too hot. Also with the heavenly breeze comes traffic noise, construction noise, and children playing from the nearby school. So it's a little noisy, but not a big deal. I walked to meet Steven for lunch(......YUM!) At his work and ordered some food from the restaurant downstairs. As we walk in the guy behind the counter calls out "Hey Mr. Steve!" Steve explains to me that this guys knows everyone who eats at his place by name. He says "This must be your new wife!" Steve introduces me as "Jess." Behind us are two women waiting in line. They give us a wave and Steven introduces them as the ladies from the bank downstairs. "This is Gina and Susan" He introduces me as "Jess", and they give me a friendly smile and a "Haah Jess, come on over and we will include you with Steve's account." (I guess we are on an short version of our first name basis here.) Our food is ready and the guy who owns the place calls out "Mr. and Mrs. Jessica!" We laugh and I feel like I'm in some quaint small town when really I am at the bottom of a 15 floor office building encompassing multiple different businesses, and the tallest building till you get near down town.....Which is like Capilano to downtown Edmonton.

Anyway, there were a few more conversations, one involving poutine and how in the states you can't order those cheese curds....it went over my head because I don't eat poutine that much. I'm not too eager to gain the 15 pounds associated with marriage that quickly. Anyway, tomorrow I have great plans! One of the wives who came from Canada invited me for some yoga at her house - she lives about a 35 minute drive away, but she is offering to drive so that makes it just perfect. I suggested we go to JCPenny....I cannot wait. Now I can actually start buying things for the home! Starting tomorrow. OH! And tomorrow is Good friday and that will be nice because I am really looking forward to attending the church that Steve has been going to. Haven't gone to church in 2 weeks so this should be good.

Have a good one, aaaaaaaah, I am just enjoying this heavenly breeze and this rediculous place where everything is cheaper and everyone talks weird.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful Jessica! also sounds like you're on the mend from that flu bug since you were able to eat lunch. Are you noticing that there is a bit of an accent with "them" after all? Hope you have a fun time tomorrow & that you make it to JC Penney :)
Love, Mum

Anonymous said...

I had to comment as your mom told me at church this evening that you had updated your blog even though it seems that I had just checked it AND the fact that you had lunch (....Yum) with Steven and of course it's quite understandable that you went out for lunch as you still have as yet to purchase those romantic lunch making items that you "got". Hope all is well Jess(ica). The weather does sound too hot though --- makes me think that it might be a hot summer there and you'll be wishing for only 19C. Have fun with all the buying you need to do to make your "house" a home!

Anonymous said...

Yah for posting on your blog Jess!!!
It sounds like you are having an amazing time. I am very glad to hear it. You will have to post lots of pictures as you begin setting up your place! Say hi to Steve for me, and don't forget to keep on blogging!!!
Marla